Friday, May 2, 2014

The First Goodbye, But My Last Thank You

It is that time of year again when we start to wish our senior friends a goodbye and good luck on the next steps in their lives.

But this is not one of those letters. This is a thank you letter to you. A thank you for all I have been able to learn from you, a thank you for the great times we have spent together, and a thank you for most importantly being my friend. That, I cannot thank you enough for.

The friendships I have established with some of you that are leaving are so meaningful to me and cherish that. As I recently sat through senior presentations and listened to some of you speak I thought to myself that, my time too is rapidly approaching.

I have not been able to grasp the fact that I too will have to leave this place. It has become my home, our home. It will not be the same without the lot of you.

Despite my sappy words of utter disbelief that you are leaving, I am proud of all of you. You came to school with a basic idea of who you are and what you are going to do and are now leaving with a perfectly constructed vision for your life and future.

You have done your time here at college, you have woken up with the worst hang over headache and pledged to yourself that you will “never drink again”, you have all procrastinated that research paper and busted it out the night before it was due. Remember those days as some of the best days of your life, but also remember that it was just a small sliver of the remainder of the time you have left to live.

Take your accomplishments and failures with you and apply them to the life you are stepping into now. These will now be the best days of your life.

Forget the petty college drama, leave that behind. You have gone through too much to let that bother you now. Those people who called you names or hated you for what you have done mean nothing anymore. You have your future ahead of you and they do not have to be in it.


A new chapter of you life starts now, and there are a lot of blank pages. So grab a pen and start writing, because you have one hell of a story to write!

- Your friend always,
       Alex Mowrey

No comments:

Post a Comment